Monday, May 9, 2011

Testing Infectwire

Transcribed a 3 game match against a New Phyrexian Grixis-Exarch-Twin deck, check it out after the jump!


Infectwire  
Creatures (16)
Glistener Elf
Bighted Agent
Plague Myr
Viral Drake
Viridian Corrupter

Pumps (12)
Distortion Strike
Mutagenic Growth
Gigantiform
Vines of Vastwood
Other Spells (4)
Preordain

Artifacts (4)
Livewire Lash

Lands (24)
Misty Rainforest
Inkmoth Nexus
8 Forest
8 Island
Sideboard
Viridian Corrupter
Viral Drake
Nature's Claim
Vines of Vastwood
Withstand Death
Contagion Clasp



Today I'll be playing against the Grixis Twin deck that placed 2nd on Magic-League.com:
(Note: My opponent chooses the deck he's playing against me, and I don't find out what deck it is until after the match is over.)


Game 1:
I roll a 4 to my opponents 1, and choose to play first. My opening hand is: Forest, Forest, Blighted Agent, Blighted Agent, Plague Myr, Vines of Vastwood, Distortion Strike. Looking back on this, I should have mulled down to 6, but I figured I would be the faster deck anyway, and chose to play with it.

Turn 1: Forest, pass. Scalding Tarn, sac'd for an Island, Gitaxian Probe.
Turn 2: Draw Mutagenic Growth. Forest, Plague Myr. Darkslick Shores, Inquisition of Kozilek. Forced to discard Mutagenic Growth.
Turn 3: Draw Plague Myr. Attack with Plague Myr, opponent at 1 poison. Scalding Tarn, sac'd for a Mountain.
Turn 4: Draw Vines of Vastwood. Attack with Plague Myr. Deceiver Exarch flashed in to block. Cast a kicked vines on Plague Myr, kill Exarch. Plays Scalding Tarn.
Turn 5: Draw Island (FINALLY). Attack with Plague Myr, opponent at 2 poison, play Blighted Agent. Cast Mana Leak. Blighted Agent hits graveyard. Plays Blackcleave Cliffs.
Turn 6: Draw Preordain. Cast Preordain, 2 Blighted Agents on top of the stack... Ship them both. Draw a Plague Myr. Attack with Plague Myr. Cast kicked Into the Roil on Plague Myr. Cast Plague Myr. Evolving Wild, Liliana Vess, uses -2 tutor ability. Cast Gitaxian Probe.
Turn 7: Draw Distortion Strike. Play Blighted Agent. Attack with Plague Myr. Flash in Deceiver Exarch, blocks Plague Myr. EOT. Play Splinter Twin. Scoop.

Sideboard:
-2 Viridian Corrupter
-2 Viral Drake
+4 Nature's Claim

Game 2:

Turn 1, Glistener Elf. Turn 2, Plague Myr, opponent at 1. Turn 3, Blighted Agent and the opponent is at 2 poison, by blocking the Elf with Spellskite. Turn 4, Elf, Myr, Agent all head in, Myr is blocked by Spellskite, opponent flashes in Exarch and blocks/kills Elf, opponent at 3 poison. Opponents turn, I cast Nature's Claim on his Spellskite. Turn 5: Gigantiform on Blighted Agent, opponent at 11 poison.

Game 3:

Opening hand is Vines of Vastwood, Island, Misty Rainforest, Nature's Claim, Livewire Lash, Livewire Lash, Glistener Elf. Opponent chooses to play first.

Turn 1: Misty Rainforest finds me a Forest to bring my shiny elf buddy to the yard.
Turn 2: Livewire Lash, Elf gets in for 1.
Turn 3: Opponent played a Spellskite, my elf picks up the lash and rushes in, taking Spellskite down to 0/1.
Turn 4: Opponent plays Duress, in response I Nature's Claim the Spellskite, and I'm forced to discard Vines of Vastwood. I play another forest, and attempt to get out Liverwire Lash #2, it gets mana leaked, I drew another one, and Livewire Lash #3 hits the field. Elf gets in for 3 more counters, opponent at 4 poison.
Turn 5: Opponent has all mana open. I attempt to equip Lash #3, and Livewire Lash #1 gets Into the Roil'd in response. Elf has 1 Livewire on him, and I just drew a distortion strike. I show the strike to my opponent, and he has no counters, putting him at a solid 10 poison and I win the game and the match.


I wrote out each game in a different way. Game 1 is written as a straight play-by-play ("I did this, then I did this, then my opponent did this, then I did this...."). Game 2 is a quick summary ("Here's the relevant things I did, and things my opponent did to try and stop it."). Game 3 is more of a narrative ("Team heads into the red zone!").

I'm curious how people feel about the different options. I think game 3 is more amusing, but game 1 more informative. Game 2 is the fastest and shortest for me to type, so doing reports like that would let me put more games in a post (writing this blog post took about 3 times longer than it took to actually play the games).

Leave a comment and let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment