Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Sealed Deck Match

After much discussion on the forums, there were in fact a couple mistakes that I made in my deck. Read on to look at the changes.


Here is the deck as it existed yesterday.



It was pointed out to me that I had neglected the Grasp of Darkness that I had pulled, and it would be much better than a Geth's Verdict. Also, due to nearly every creature in the format being an artifact, I would be better off using Gremlin Mine instead of the Shrine of Limitless power.

The third change was to take out Blistergrub and replace it with Fallen Ferromancer. I don't think Ferromancer is a particularly spectacular card considering how many cards in the format drop -1/-1 counters on things. But more often than not, Ferromancer would be a better card to pull then Blistergrub.

So now the deck stands as this:
Deck  
Lands (16)
10 Swamp
Mountain
Plains

Creatures (16)
Vault Skirge
Fume Spitter
Blind Zealot
Fallen Ferromancer
Mortis Dogs
Skinrender
Bleak Coven Vampires
Leaden Myr
Iron Myr
Palladium Myr
Chrome Steed
Snapsail Glider
Blinding Souleater
Moriok Replica
Others (8)
Gremlin Mine
Mimic Vat
Sword of Body and Mind
Volt Charge
Artillerize
Shatter
Geth's Verdict
Grasp of Darkness


My playtest partner played in a Magc-Leage sealed tournament, and placed 2nd. He lost 1-2 in the final round to control Blue/Black deck.

What better deck to test against than one that just placed 2nd at a sealed tournament?

Game 1. I roll a 7 to his 6, and I choose to play first.

I draw up my 7, and decide to keep. (I forgot to write down my opening hand, sorry)

I play a Swamp, and play out Fume Spitter, and pass the turn.
Hizar opens with a Forest and then passes.
I play a Mountain, and attack with my Fume Spitter for 1, then pass the turn.
Hizar drops another Forest, and passes it off.
I play a Swamp, attack with Fume Spitter again, then end my turn.
Hizar plays a third Forest, and plays a Golem Foundry.
I put another Mountain into play, attack with the Fume Spitter, and tap out to play Chrome Steed.
Hizar untaps, plays a Forest, then drops in a Snapsail Glider.
I play another Mountain, tap 2 for an Iron Myr, and then tap 3 for a Blinding Souleater, then I attack with my Steed, and the Snapsail chumps it.
My opponent plays yet another Forest, then taps out for a Tangle Hulk. His Golem Foundry is now at 2 counters.
I play a Swamp, then tap 4 for Mortis Dogs. I think for a moment, then Shatter his Golem Foundry.
Hizar plays a Gremlin Mine, and passes the turn. At the end of his turn I pay 2 life and tap the Tangle Hulk with my Souleater.
I untap, tap 3 for Sword of Body and Mind, then 2 to equip it onto my Mortis Dogs. I swing with Chrome Steed and the dogs, and my opponent kills off the Steed with the Mine, taking 6 damage. I put out my new Wolf, and my opponent mills 10 cards.
Hizar plays an Acid Web Spider destroying the sword and passes the turn. EOT I tap his Tangle Hulk with the Souleater.
I untap and think for a minute. My opponent is at 11, and I'm at 16. I pay another 2 life to tap his Acid Web Spider, leaving him with no blockers, and then attack with the Mortis Dogs and the Wolf token, taking my opponent down to 5.
My opponent untaps and plays a Maul Splicer, putting in 2 Golem tokens. He then moves to combat, attacking with his Tangle Hulk. I throw the Fume Spitter in front, and then sac it to kill the Splicer, but my opponent still has the 2 golems.
I draw, then use another 2 life to tap his Acid Web Spider. I swing with the Iron Myr, the Mortis Dogs, and the Wolf token. My opponent blocks the Dogs and the Wolf, takes 1 from the Myr, and then 4 from the Dogs dieing, giving me game 1!

Hizar chooses to play first, and we start game number 2.

This game is ridiculously long (27 turns) and I eventually die to a Thundering Tanadon equipped with a Sickleslicer with my opponent under 10 life.

Game 3, and I choose to play first.

I play a Swamp and a Vault Skirge, losing 2 life.
My opponent plays a Forest and passes.
I play another Swamp, and a Gremlin Mine, and attack for 1.
My opponent continues his trend, and plays a Forest then passes.
I play a Mountain, then a Snapsail Glider, and attack for 1 again.
Hizar drops a 3rd Forest and taps them all for a Golem Foundry.
I untap, play a Mountain, cast Chrome Steed and attack for 3 flying.
My opponent plays a Forest and a Culling Dais, adding a counter to the Foundry.
I play a Swamp and a Fume Spitter, and attack for 7, putting my opponent at 8 life.
My opponent untaps and draws then concedes, showing my a hand filled with 5+ cost creatures and a Piston Sledge and no 5th land.


As I predicted, this deck does very well as long as it goes off early and swarms in with creatures. The game that I lost I was eventually swamped under huge creatures and I just wasn't able to draw enough answers to bin all of them. The Sickleslicer my opponent was able to get out early was huge for him, allowing him to profitably attack into every defense that I had.

Unfortunately I didn't draw Bleak Coven Vampires or Mimic Vat in a single game. Drawing it in my second game would have put my opponent within Artillerize range, and would have kept me alive for an extra turn. Oh well, sometimes thats how the cards fall.

If you missed the first part of this series, where I actually build the deck, it's available here:

No comments:

Post a Comment