Sunday, May 8, 2011

Infectwire post NPH

Last week I posted the deck that I had been running at my local FNM, and I also gave a short list of what cards from New Phyrexia would be good additions. I've been playing and tweaking my list for the past week on Magic Workstation, and I think I'm ready to release the list I'm going to be using. List and explanations after the jump!

Alright, let's get started with the maindeck:

Creatures (16)
Glistener Elf
Blighted Agent
Plague Myr
Viral Drake
Viridian Corrupter
Pumps (12)
Distortion Strike
Mutagenic Growth
Gigantiform
Vines of Vastwood
Other Spells (4)
Preordain
Artifacts (4)

Livewire Lash
Lands (24)

Misty Rainforest
Inkmoth Nexus
8 Forest
8 Island


Alright, most of these choices should be pretty obvious, but let's just run down the list real quick:

Glistener Elf: The 1 drop, this little guy makes turn 2 and turn 3 kills possible.

Blighted Agent: Perfect evasion. This guy equipped with Livewire and a Vines in your hand means game over for your opponent.

Plague Myr: Mana fixer and gives us a turn 4 kill if we are missing Glistener Elf. Depending on how he plays out, he may get swapped for Necropede. I'm not entirely sold on him.

Viral Drake: A flying infector that can also proliferate. What can't this guy do for the deck?

Viridian Corrupter: With so many artifacts being used he will almost always have a target. The only deck that isn't currently mainboarding artifacts is Vampires, so he gets sided out against them.

Distortion Strike: No explanation needed.

Mutagenic Growth: Trade 2 life for 2 poison counters? Sign me up.

Gigantiform: Always an instant win if this resolves without your opponent holding instant speed removal.

Vines of Vastwood: Gives troll shroud at instant speed, and is able to pump with the kicker. I'm debating maindecking 4 of these, but not sure what to take out.

Preordain: One of the best cards in the format currently. This guy lets you find what you're looking for at the low cost of just 1 mana.

Livewire Lash: This one should be pretty obvious. If this is on an infect creature, it is the creature dealing damage, thus, poison counters, or wither counters depending on what you're pinging.

Misty Rainforest: We're running green/blue, aren't we?

Inkmoth Nexus: This guy has won games by himself for me. Immune to all sweepers currently being played, able to be pumped, equipped, whatever you want, this is your guy. He also is a flying colorless blocker, which is a big bonus against birds with swords.

Now, the sideboard:
Sideboard
Viridian Corrupter
Nature's Claim
Withstand Death
Viral Drake
Contagion Clasp



Viridian Corrupter and Nature's Claim: More artifact hate, and Nature's Claim is instant speed removal against the Exarch-Twin combo.


Withstand Death: One more method of keeping your guys on the field. If you've got a Livewire equipped, this can not only save your guy, but ping one of theirs.


Viral Drake: Just in case you need more fliers and proliferators.


Contagion Clasp: Provides some pretty good removal. It's able to drop a Lotus Cobra before it does anything crazy. And after proliferating once it can kill just about anything in the format that isn't a titan. I'm strongly considering maindecking these, but not sure if it's worth it for slowing the deck down.




There you have it. I managed to trade for all my New Phyrexian goodies at the pre-release, so I'm all set, even have the whole deck sleeved up (except for my missing Misty Rainforest, that is still on order).


If anyone out there is running this bad-boy, or something similar, let me know how your list differs, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment