Friday, May 13, 2011

Friday Night Magic Draft

Red infect is a real archetype now. I drafted what I considered to be one of the worst decks ever tonight, and I ended up going 3-1. Read on to look at some of my picks.

Up again for MVP is Ogre Menial. I managed to grab 3 of them during the draft.


A close second was Razor Swine. Once again, I somehow got 3 of these little guys.


And with the brass is Chained Throatseeker.


Now, lets look at the draft itself.


I was pleasantly surprised tonight that we would be drafting with 3 packs of New Phyrexia. I don't recall every card in every pack that went by me, but I do remember what my picks were, and my general thought process behind it.

The very first pack I opened greeted me with a Glistening Oil. I wasn't sure what kind of deck I would be playing, so I went ahead and grabbed it. Worst case it's a semi-bad removal spell. Best case makes it a swing for the win enchantment. It also straight up generates card advantage when killing off your opponents creatures.


The next few stacks that got to me were pretty underwhelming. Most of them still had their terrible rares in them, Torpor Orb, Unwinding Clock and even a Myr Superior went by me. Meanwhile I was picking up black removal spells left and right, with 2 Geth's Verdict joining my pile.


Pack 2 gave me a Myr Superion, which I promptly passed along, picking up a Porcelain Legionnaire instead. Now that packs were coming from my left, my black had dried up, but I was being handed every red card that should never be passed. Volt Charge, Artillerize, Razor Swine, and Ogre Menial are all amazing cards, and every one of them was getting passed to me. I even hadShrine of Burning Rage passed to me, was nobody playing red?

Pack 3 opened to a Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer. He's a pretty decent pick if you're running red/white with lots of artifacts, but I was not, so he got passed over for a Tormentor Exarch instead. This time around, both red and black cards were being picked clean, and I ended up getting a couple decent blues, picking up 2 Chained Throatseekers, and a Phyrexian Ingester.


Time was called, and deck building began. I flipped over my cards, and was immediately worried. I had tons of huge cost creatures, but nothing cheaper than 3 mana. I had been completely ignoring my curve the entire draft. 


I ended up with this deck:

Deck  
Ogre Menial
Razor Swine
Tormentor Exarch
Porcelain Legionnaire
Chained Throatseeker
Sickleslicer
Flameborn Viron
Toxic Nim

Geth's Verdict
Glistening Oil
Tezzeret's Gambit
Shrine of Burning Rage
Mycosynth Wellspring
Volt Charge
Mutagenic Growth
Phyrexia's Core
Mountain
Swamp
Island




I was pretty unhappy with this deck, and I was sure I would be going 0-4 for the night. I don't have anything significant that I can be doing before turn 3 on most games, and everything else is a huge mana sink. I wouldn't be able to pump Ogre Menial and play something else even in the late game.


But oh well, I've made my bed, now I need to lie in it.


First game was pretty terrible for me. My opponent was playing Green/White, and had tons of removal and plenty of big stompys. Fortunately it was over pretty quickly 0-2.


My second game was the exact opposite. My opponent was playing Green/Blue infect. Everything he dropped in, I had an answer for. Drawing 2 Chained Throatseekers sealed the match in my favor. 2-0


My third game was against a Blue/White deck that had somehow drafted 5 Porcelain Legionnaires. Somehow I managed to get a Chained Throatseeker with both Sickleslicers equipped on him. There's not much a Blue/White deck can do against a 9/9 infector. I won this one 2-0 also.


My final game was against... I'm not sure what. He was 2-1 just like me, and the only creature I saw him play was a single Suture Priest. He was stomped in by some Razor Swine, one of which was riding a Sickleslicer. 2-0 on this match also.




So I ended the night 3-1. Apparently, and you can write this down for future use, if you take a first strike infect creature, and then put some equipments on him, he does pretty awesome things. You can go ahead and use that little tip the next time you draft.






One other note, I saw the most ridiculous play ever tonight. My opponent played 2 Defensive Stance enchantments on the 2 Razor Swines that I had out, and then when I attacked with them he cast Marrow Shards. Twice.





No comments:

Post a Comment