Thursday, May 5, 2011

Secret tech for infect

5 months ago, one of the R&D folks at Wizard posted an article about the future of infect. Apparently, the Future Future League had found an amazing card from Zendikar block that made green infect decks amazing.

Here's the quote from the article, keep in mind that "Action" was the code name for New Phyrexia.
Earlier in this article, I mentioned infect as a strategy that hasn't popped in Constructed yet. There's a green card from Zendikar block that we've found is the key to our infect decks, and I haven't seen anyone out in the real world play a single copy of this particular card in an infect deck yet. (It's not a creature pumping effect.) Don't fret, though—it took us a long time to find it too. In fact, it took us until "Action" was the most recent set in our playtest Standard environment. Our mono-green infect deck that includes the card in question has traveled to several events now with an impressive winning record. Perhaps one of you will find it, and it will be good enough to win you a tournament or two.
Ever since Tom posted that article everyone has been searching for the card, but there wasn't much more information he was willing to give out. That changed Tuesday when Tom tweeted about it again.
So, those of you showing up at the Columbus pre-release will get to see the secret tech first hand. But before that, I'd like to take some stabs at it. I'm going to assume that the card is not a creature (I hate the idea that the card is Overgrown Battlement, that would be such a huge letdown).

Here are all the green cards from the Zendikar block that I think have a chance:


Beastmaster Ascension: Could technically be considered a pump spell. I don't think this is the tech though, by the time you've attacked with 7 infect creatures, you've probably already won.

Gigantiform: Also could technically be a pump spell. I really like this card in Infect decks, nothing says game over like an 11/11 trample infect creature (after a giant growth).


Irresistible Prey: This could maybe be it, but I'm not liking it a whole lot. Sure, you could use this card to force your opponent to block a smaller creature so that your big guy can get through, but that doesn't happen often in infect.


Nature's Claim: This is the best candidate in my opinion. Essentially destroy any artifact or enchantment that is giving you trouble for the low cost of 1 mana? And the "penalty" of this card doesn't affect infect in the slightest.


Predatory Urge: Another "meh" choice. I wouldn't be terribly excited playing this in my infect deck. Sure I can use it to shrink an opponents creature by X, but there are much easier ways of doing that.


Quest for the Gemblades: This could possibly be considered a pump spell, but I really like it. If even just one of your creatures gets blocked you have this terrible omen hanging over your opponents head. Did I mention I like it?


Tanglesap: The only reason I even consider this in this list is because of the new team pump spell coming out in New Phyrexia, 
Triumph of the Hordes. This could possibly combo pretty well together, but I think it's pretty clunky.

So there you have it, my top choice is Naturalize. Which is a pretty sweet card, but I'm not sure how exactly it will be swinging games in your favor. However, looking through these cards back when I first read the article is what gave me the idea of using Gigantiform in my Infect decks, which pretty much wins the game all by itself if your opponent doesn't have instant removal in hand, and against an infect deck with as much pump as mine has, opponents use up their burn and removal pretty quick.

Tomorrow I'll be piloting my Infectwire deck at FNM, and Saturday is prerelease day for New Phyrexia. I'll be at the Colorado regional release at the Red Lion Hotel in Aurora. I'll try and do some tournament reports so you guys can see how I run my deck.

Update 5/9/11
The secret tech is Overgrown Battlement, with this explanation from Tom LaPille (via Twitter)
monogreen infect is a combo deck. Combo decks want mana and defense etc

I have to say I am fairly disappointed. I've bugged Tom for a decklist that he was running while Gunslinging, if I get a response back I'll write up something about it, but otherwise... just disappointed that the secret hyped super awesome card that everyone has been missing... is a wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment