Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mono Blue Control

This is an interesting deck I found on the forums. I tweaked it a little from the original list, and it's been playing fairly well for me.

Here's the deck that I've been using:

Mono Blue Control  
Lands - 24
Inkmoth Nexus
Tectonic Edge
16 Island

Creatures - 12
Thrummingbird
Spellskite
Grand Architect

Counters - 6
Mana Leak
Stoic Rebuttal
Other Spells - 8
Preordain
Into the Roil

Artifacts - 8
Contagion Clasp
Tumble Magnet

Planeswalker - 2
Jace Beleren
Sideboard:
In Progress
Flashfreeze
Mental Misstep
Necropede
Wurmcoil Engine


The sideboard is still very rough, but so far it has served.

The general idea of this deck is to slow roll your opponent. You can make Inkmoth a 2/2 with Grand Architect, you can proliferate them to death with Thrummingbird, and you can generally stop just about anything they try and do.

Sideboard plans are roughly:
RDW - Mental Missteps and Necropedes in, Thrummingbird and Into the Roil out
MBC - Mental Missteps in, 1 of several things out
Aggro - Necropede and Wurmcoil in, Thrummingbird and Jace out
Green Decks - Flashfreeze in

It's getting harder and harder to find intelligent opponents on MWS. I've had 3 people quit after the first game in the past hour, 2 of them I beat, one of them I was badly flooded, and he called me a "looser nob" and quit.

So unfortunately, you're going to have to settle for some single games instead of best of 3 matches.

Vs Green/Black Birthing Pod (I think)

I lose the roll and he opens with a Forest and a Llanowar Elf. I drop an Island and pass. He plays a Swamp and a Viridian Emissary, hitting me for 1 with the Elf. I play a Tectonic Edge and a Spellskite. He plays a Verdant Catacombs and attacks with both elves, I take 1 and I'm down to 18. I Preordain, draw a Mana Leak, play an Island, and pass. My opponent plays a Swamp, taps everything for a Mitotic Slime, which I Mana Leak, and passes the turn. I play an Island, and put out a Thrummingbird and pass. My opponent plays an Acidic Slime targeting my Spellskite, which I can't counter, and then attacks for 3. I play a Tectonic Edge and tap out for another Spellskite and a Tumble Magnet, then attack with the Thrummingbird putting another counter on the Magnet. My opponent goes to attack, I tap the Acidic Slime and he moves to second main. He taps out for a Wurmcoil and passes the turn.

I'm starting to run out of options, and I draw... an Island. I play the Island, and tap 2 for a Contagion Clasp, targeting the Wurmcoil, then attack with the Thrummingbird, putting another counter on the Wurmcoil and my Magnet. My opponent untaps, and plays another Acidic Slime, targeting the Tumble Magnet. I play a kicked Into the Roil to save it, drawing an Island, and tap the Wurmcoil on the way out. I take 2 from the attacking Acidic Slime. I untap and draw another Tectonic Edge (4 land draws in a row) play my Island, attack with Thrummingbird and proliferate the Wurmcoil and Magnet. He untaps and goes all in with everything. I tap down the Wurmcoil with the Magnet, and take 4 from the 2 Acidic Slimes, he then plays a Cadaver Imp, returning the Mitotic Slime to his hand, plays a Mimic Vat, and passes the turn.

I draw an Island. I'm sitting at 9 life, and he has 3 creatures out with Deathtouch. I have nothing in my hand except 3 lands, even though I've played a land every single turn leading up to this point. He has a flying blocker to stop my Thrummingbird, but I can still proliferate with the Contagion Clasp. I play my land and pass the turn. My opponent untaps and attacks with everything, I tap an Acidic Slime with the Magnet. I proliferate the Wurmcoil, making it a 1/1, block the Acidic Slime with my Spellskite and the Viridian Corrupter with my Thrummingbird, I'm down to 6 life and I have no creatures left. He plays the Mitotic Slime and ends his turn. I draw a Preordain and cast it, next 2 cards are both Islands, so I send them both to the bottom, drawing a Jace. I look at the board state and concede, even with my single Tumble Magnet I'll still be taking over 6 damage next turn. I tell my opponent "gg" and ask to sideboard for game 2. He says, and I quote, "no no u are nob looser lol" then says: "idiot deck" and disconnects.

After that I won a single game against a Mono Black control deck, killing him with 2 Thrummingbirds. Highlight of the game was Into the Roiling a Phyrexian Obliterator that he had just paid 4 life to equip a Lashwrithe to, and drawing into a Mana Leak, which I used the following turn to counter the Obliterator he tried to summon. When I said "gg" at the end of this match my opponent disconnected without saying a word.

I also beat a very strange 5 color control deck. I couldn't really tell what he was trying to do, I ended up with a Grand Architect out, making my Inkmoth a 2/2 every turn and attacking with it plus a Thrummingbird, which killed him pretty quick. I countered an Inferno Titan that he played, but besides that I didn't really see anything interesting the entire game.

Finally, I played against a Red Deck Wins. He beat me pretty easily in Game 1, double Goblin Guides and a Shrine of Burning Rage with 7 counters. Game 2 I Mental Misstep his opening Guide. I get a Necropede and block a Guide, putting a counter on a Goblin Chieftan, next draw was a Contagion Clasp, killing the Chieftan. Both of us mana flood badly, the game goes to turn 36, him with 11 land out, and me with 12. I end up killing him using an Inkmoth being pumped up by a Architect, and being able to double proliferate every turn with 2 Contagion Clasps. 2 Tumble Magnets kept everything he had at bay, with a Spellskite (that was a 2/6) blocking/killing everything he attacked with. After his loss he quits without saying a word, not letting me get in a game 3.

So frustrating.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the read!

1 comment:

  1. MWS is full of arrogant 11 year olds, but it's our best option short of paying to play online (yeah right) or waiting till Friday. The deck is interesting, though. The only blue decks I like are semi-aggro decks (Basically just Infect at this point). I am looking forward to Illusions though!

    ReplyDelete