Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Machine Red and the Art of Aggro Proliferation

Maybe you've seen some people playing this deck, essentially it's a Mono Red deck, but runs a lot of Artifacts. It utilizes proliferation and Koth to beat your opponents.

Alright, here's the deck list that I use:

Machine Red  
Lands - 20
Tectonic Edge
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
15 Mountain

Creatures - 7
Necropede
Kuldotha Phoenix

Artifacts - 16
Sphere of the Suns
Everflowing Chalice
Contagion Clasp
Tumble Magnet
Spells - 12
Lightning Bolt
Volt Charge
Tezzeret's Gambit

Planeswalkers - 5
Koth of the Hammer
Karn Liberated
Sideboard:
Combust
Spellskite
Pyroclasm
Shatter


The idea here is get out Koth quickly, then proliferate him up to his ultimate and win.

Often times a late game Koth draw can be ultimated the turn he comes out due to all the methods of Proliferation.

The back up plan is Kuldotha Phoenix. With Metalcraft active he can't really be countered and he can't be killed.

The final option is getting in 1 poison with Necropede, and then proliferating them to death with poison counters. Despite this seeming like the least likely win condition, it has happened to me once or twice in testing. The Necropede itself is pretty awesome because so many decks are running around with the Sword of War and Peace. Often Necropede and Contagion Clasp are your only chances pre-sideboard.

Now, how does it actually play out?

Machine Red vs Caw-Blade
Game 1:


I win the roll and choose to play first. I draw my 7 cards, and keep, my opponent doing the same. First turn is a Mountain. My opponent opens with a Seachrome Coast. I play a second Mountain, and tap out for Sphere of the Suns, my opponent lets it land. He plays a Tectonic Edge, and passes the turn back. It's going to be one of those kinds of games...

I play my 3rd Mountain, and tap out to play Tezzeret's Gambit. Again, my opponent allows it. He drops an Inkmoth Nexus and passes back. I tap 2 Mountains for another Sphere of the Suns and pass my turn. My opponent plays an Island, and taps out for Jace, TMS. He brainstorms and passes back. EOT I play a Lightning Bolt, targeting Jace.

I draw a Koth, untap, Tap 3 Mountains and a Sphere, and play Koth, make a Mountain into a Man, and attack for 4. My opponent plays a Glacial Fortress, taps 3 lands, plays Sword of Feast and Famine, and passes back, 2 lands untapped. I play a Tectonic Edge, and Sac it, aiming at his Seachrome Coast that's untapped. He taps it in response, and I say I'm ending my main phase to move to second main. I then tap 3 for a Volt Charge, but he has a Spell Pierce. I +1 Koth and end my turn.

My opponent plays another Glacial Fortress, and puts another Jace onto the field, Brainstorming again. I untap and draw and Ultimate up Koth. I play a Mountain then tap 5 for Kuldotha Phoenix, and attack his Jace, binning it. My opponent draws, and then Preordains. He taps out for a Batterskull and ends his turn.

I play a 5th Mountain, and go to Combat. He makes his Inkmoth a creature, and I ping it with a Mountain, then attack for 4 with the Phoenix. I tap my other 4 mountains to kill the Batterskull Germ and end my turn. My opponent draws, and concedes the match.

I sideboard out 3 Necropedes and 1 Tezzeret's Gambit for 4 Shatters.

Game 2:
My opponent chooses to play first and puts down a Celestial Colonnade, ending his turn. I play a Tectonic Edge, and end. He plays a Tectonic Edge and passes back. I drop a Mountain and tap for Sphere of the Sun, it gets Spell Piereced. My opponent plays a Misty Rainforest and ends his turn. I draw, play a Mountain and tap 3 for Tumble Magnet, which makes it through. My opponent plays a Plains, and taps for a Mirran Crusader, ending his turn. I untap, and tap 3 for Tezzeret's Gambit, proliferating my Magnet and drawing 2 cards, and end my turn. He untaps and draws, then sac's his Rainforest for an Island, then plays a Squadron Hawk, grabbing 3 more and putting them into his hand. He goes to combat and I tap his Crusader. I draw and play a Mountain, then Lightning Bolt his Crusader. I tap 2 more Mountains for a Necropede, and end my turn.

My opponent plays an Island, and attacks with the Hawk, ending his turn. I draw a Valakut and play it, then attack with the Necropede, putting a poison counter on my opponent. I tap 3 Mountains and play another Tumble Magnet, which also sticks, and end my turn. My opponent plays a Tectonic Edge, then taps out for Consecrated Sphinx and passes back. I untap, and play a Koth, then pass back. My opponent untaps and draws, 9 cards in his hand, and thinks. He plays a Stoneforge Mystic, tutors up a Sword of Feast and Famine, and ends his turn. I play a Shatter, targeting the sword. My opponent taps 2 and Into the Roils the sword back to his hand, and tapping himself out. I play a Volt Charge, killing the Stoneforge and proliferating everything, then I ultimate Koth off and end my turn. My opponent untaps, plays a Sun Titan, getting back his Misty Rainforest, equips the Sword onto the Sphinx and goes to combat, I tap the Sphinx and he ends his turn.

I play another Mountain, Lightning Bolt the Sun Titan, and then tap 3 more Mountains to finish it off. My opponent draws and scoops his cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment