Friday, June 17, 2011

5-1 with Mono Green Infect at FNM

Took my Mono Green Infect deck to FNM tonight and walked away with second place.

Here's the deck list I used, it is slightly modified over previous versions, only 4 fetch lands, only 4 pieces of Equipment, and 14 Creatures.


Mono Green Infect
Lands - 20
12 Forest
Inkmoth Nexus
Misty Rainforest

Creatures - 14
Glistener Elf
Necropede
Ichorclaw Myr
Viridian Corrupter

Pump - 12
Groundswell
Mutagenic Growth
Vines of Vastwood
Equipment - 4
Adventuring Gear
Livewire Lash

Removal - 4
Dismember

Dig - 6
Ancient Stirrings
Gitaxian Probe
Tezzeret's Gambit
Sideboard:
Viridian Corrupter
Nature's Claim
Apostle's Blessing
Spellskite
Tezzeret's Gambit


I went 5-1 and came in 2nd. Lost to some guy that I've never seen before that was playing the Vampires deck that won last weekend's SCG Open.

Matches:
Round 1: Tempered Steel (2-0). Game 1 he had fewer blockers than I had attackers, the one that got through got pumped to win. Game 2, I side in the 2 Viridian Corrupters and 4 Nature's Claims, and take out 2 Dismember, 2 Gitaxian Probe, and 1 each of Ichorclaw and Necropede. Somewhere around turn 5 he has 3 blockers, I have 3 creatures, I nature's claim one, and pump to win.

Round 2: Vampires (2-1). Game 1 I win when he tries to GftT my Elf, and I respond with a kicked Vines of Vastwood and a Groundswell, win the next turn off a Tezzeret's Gambit. I side in 4 Apostle's Blessing, 3 Spellskite, siding out 2 Viridian Corrupters, 2 Dismembers, 2 Ancient Stirrings, and 1 Gitaxian Probe. Game 2 he wins at 8 poison, and I'm unable to get in for the last 2 points. Game 3 I grind him down with an Inkmoth, blocking his ground game with Spellskite.

Round 3: Mono Blue Architect (2-0). Game 1 I'm on the play, he doesn't have a creature out by my 3rd turn, and he dies. I side in 2 Viridian Corrupter, 4 Nature's Claim. I side out 2 Ichorclaw, 2 Dismember, and 2 Adventuring Gear. Game 2 he brings in multiple creatures, but I'm able to grind them down with Necropedes and Ichorclaws, eventually breaking past the defenders for the win.

Round 4: Mono Black Control (2-0). Game 1 he has no creatures out by turn 4, grind him out for the win. I side out 2 Ancient Stirrings and 2 Viridian Corrupters for 4 Apostle's Blessing. Game 2 Kicked Vines of Vastwood on a Glistener Elf turn 2, he plays a Gatekeeper killing it, next turn I attack with an Inkmoth with a Groundswell.

Round 5: Caw-Blade (2-0). This is the guy I lost to in the Top 4 last week. Game 1, double Groundswell on Turn 2 when he played a tapped land. I sideboard in my entire sideboard, 2 Corrupters, 4 Nature's Claim and 4 Apostle's Blessing. I can't even remember what all I took out to fit it all in. Game 2, I attack into a Stoneforge that had just tutored up Batterskull, and he walks into a Nature's Claim and a Kicked Vines. He plays a land and passes, leaving 4 untapped, I play an Adventuring Gear on my Elf, drop a Fetchland, and put Apostle's Blessing on it, letting it walk right past his Stoneforge, giving me the win.

Round 6: Vampires (1-2). Game 1 is a blowout win. I sideboard the same as I did for Round 2. Game 2 I keep a hand with 4 land in it, and draw land for the next 3 turns, he has too much board control at that point and I can't get anything in. Game 3 I draw a 1 land hand that doesn't have Glistener Elf, I mulligan to 6, a no land hand, I mulligan to 5, one land and a hand of 2 costs. I don't draw my second land until turn 4, but fortunately he is slow rolling too. I almost win with an Inkmoth, but he bolts it, I respond with a kicked Vines, and he responds with a Dismember.

Very happy with how the deck did, and I like my current setup for cards. The Ancient Stirrings are almost always used to find an Inkmoth, but I've used them to grab equipment or even creatures too. So far I've only ever missed with it once. In game 3, Round 6, I tried using one to find my second land, and had to grab an Ichorclaw. So even that wasn't technically a miss.

I might be going to a Pro Tour Qualifier that is in a couple weeks, and if I do I'll definitely be taking a version of this deck.

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. your always good.. a big fan of u. - jsonn > http://www.mtgvault.com/Profile.aspx?UserID=10771

    ReplyDelete
  2. I run a dangerously similar list, and I went 3-1 tonight. 3-way tie for 1st, I got assed out to 5th place, and the 4th place player was someone I beat! >:O

    I like to mainboard the Nature's Claim, there are so many swords and Batterskulls and Splinter Twins running around, and I just nuke it all. Also can help with life loss of Gitaxian Probe / Tezzeret's Gambit by nuking your own artifacts in a pinch. And there's the always-fun tactic of using it on a Livewire Lash-equipped Inkmoth Nexus for 2 poison for the win!

    I also run a single Phyrexian Metamorph for some added versatility. Nice list dude, keep bringing the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo,

    I'm running this too and I wanna talk in depth strat in the new meta with you. Send me an email at Avarghaladion@gmail.com.

    P.S. What branch of engineering are you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.P.S. holy crap, huge revaltion right after I posted that. Have some suggestions that will really make this pop.

    ReplyDelete