Saturday, July 2, 2011

1st place at Friday Night Magic

I came in first yesterday at FNM.



Alright, the deck I used tonight is the same one that I used 2 weeks ago:

Mono Green Infect
Land - 20
Inkmoth Nexus
Misty Rainforest
12 Forest

Creatures - 14
Glistener Elf
Ichorclaw Myr
Necropede
Viridian Corrupter

Pump - 12
Groundswell
Vines of Vastwood
Mutagenic Growth
Dig - 4
Ancient Stirrings
Tezzeret's Gambit

Removal - 4
Dismember

Equipment - 6
Livewire Lash
Adventuring Gear
Sideboard:
Spellskite
Apostle's Blessing
Nature's Claim
Viridian Corrupter
Tezzeret's Gambit


I went 3-1 before the cut, losing 2-1 to a Vampires deck in round 4. I made it into top 4 as the 4th place seed, and went on to win the entire thing.

Round 1: Not sure what he was playing. Both games were turn 3 wins. 2-0

Round 2: White Tempered Steel. Lost the first game under a swarm of huge artifact creatures. Sided in almost the entire sideboard and won the next 2 games. Won almost entirely off of Apostle's Blessing giving protection from Artifacts, and letting my creatures sneak in. 2-1

Round 3: Blue/Black Control. He drew tons of Discard, but no answers for creatures already on the field, I was able to slow roll him both games. 2-0.

Round 4: Vampires. I lost game 1 to Viscera Seer and Kalastria Highborn with enough mana to finish me off. I side in Spellskites and Apostle's Blessings. I win game 2 with 2 Spellskites blocking for me and Inkmoth doing it. Game 3 my opening hand is 2 Tezzeret's Gambit, a Forest, and 4 Pump spells. I mulligan to 6, 4 lands and 2 creatures. I decide to keep it rather than risk a 5 card hand. I lose in much the same way that I lost game 1, bad draws, no protection from the bolts and Doom Blades. 1-2.

At this point we cut to top 4 and I'm in spot #4.

Round 5: Mono Black Control. Game 1, I keep a hand with 2 lands and 3 creatures with 2 Vines. I pump to win when he tries to Doom Blade. Game 2 he gets stuck on 2 mana after mulliganing once, and I'm able to get an easy win.

Round 6: Machine Red. This guy beat the Vampires deck that I lost to in round 4, and I had just beat the guy that he lost to in round 4. The two of us were the only 3-1 in the Top 4, both the other 2 were 4-0. Game 1 I win off some lucky pumps. Game 2, he gets out a Spellskite and I never see a way to get rid of it. Game 3, he taps out for a Koth, and I have enough pump to get in for the win.

So there you have it, another win for the Infect deck.

Almost all of the M12 has been spoiled at this point, so throughout this week I'm going to be looking at some past decks and finding ones that will be better due to the new cards. So stay tuned.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments: