Saturday, June 11, 2011

Mono Green Infect at FNM

I finally had a chance to take my Mono Green Infect deck to FNM yesterday. I won all of my matches except against a Caw-Blade deck and I finished in 3rd place overall.

Here is the list that I used:

Deck  
Land - 22
Inkmoth Nexus
Misty Rainforest
14 Forest

Creatures - 12
Glistener Elf
Ichorclaw Myr
Necropede

Pump - 12
Groundswell
Vines of Vastwood
Mutagenic Growth
Dig - 5
Ancient Stirrings
Tezzeret's Gambit

Removal - 3
Beast Within

Equipment - 6
Livewire Lash
Adventuring Gear
Sideboard:
Spellskite
Apostle's Blessing
Nature's Claim
Viridian Corrupter


I couldn't find a play set of Verdant Catacombs in time, so I had to run vanilla Forests instead.

Overall I was very happy with the deck. I had a few slow roll victories, several blowouts, and a couple wins off Tezzeret's Gambit proliferate.


Round 1: B/R Vampires (Win). Won game 1 off a double Groundswell on turn 2 and was able to get in a 10th poison shortly after. He won Game 2 with a couple Doomblades and Gatekeepers. Game 3 I won off Inkmoth slowrolling him, Got in for the final damage when he got bold and tried to Doomblade it while it was attacking, and a kicked Vines finished it.

Round 2: B/G/R Infect (Win). Game 1 I kept him off mana for too long. He missed his second land drop and I Beast Within'd it. He finally got a second Land, and I Beast Within'd that as well. Game 2 he had too much creature removal that I never saw in the first game, so I wasn't ready for it. Game 3 was a blowout win, 11 poison in a single turn off a Inkmoth.

Round 3: U/W Caw-Blade (Loss). Game 1 I got him up to 9 poison and he stabilized with a Day of Judgement and Dismembered my Inkmoth. I never saw a Livewire Lash or a Tezzeret's Gambit. Game 2 I got him up to 6 counters and he stabilized off of Hawks and had enough spot removal and counters to kill off all my creatures.

Round 4: WW Equip (Win). Both games were blowout wins on turn 4. First game he only had 1 blocker out to my 2 creatures, the one that made it through got pumped to win. Game 2 he had a Mirran Crusader with wings to block my Inkmoth, I Beast Within'd his wings during his end step and swung for the win on my turn.

Cut to top 4 and I'm in 4th out of 30ish people, and the only 3-1 to make the cut.

Round 5: Against the U/W Caw-Blade from Round 3 (Loss). Game 1 is a blowout win, he chooses to not block an Elf with his Stoneforge while tapped out and dies for it. Game 2 and 3 are similar to last game, I get some counters on him early and he stabilizes with tons of creature removal.





Round 6: Mono Black Control (Win). Game 1 is a blowout turn 3 win riding on an Elf. Game 2 is almost a blowout win, but he plays Marrow Shards (???) in response to my pump. I totally wasn't expecting it. The following turn I win with an Inkmoth with Adventuring Gear and a fetch land with Groundswell.









Final Standings:
1st: Caw-Blade
2nd: R/U Splinter Twin
3rd: Mono Green Infect
4th: Mono Black Control

Overall I was pretty happy with the way that the deck and I performed. My deck really isn't set up to beat the older version of Caw-Blade that is running tons of creature removal and Giddeon. I'm not overly concerned with it as so many people are modifying their Caw-Blade decks to do better in the mirror matches, they end up doing worse against me, so I'm ok with losing the occasional match against someone running an anti-creature Caw-Blade deck.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. hye D..thanks for the post..how you pay for tezzeret..is it you pay 3 forest and 2 life to cast it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the 2 life is a small price for 2 cards and a proliferate.

    ReplyDelete